We are so extremely excited to share this new update with you. It has been in the works for months now, and has gone through rigorous testing internally and through our public beta process.
The changes in this update are pretty long, but to summarize the biggest change... it's a performance boost. You will notice that any pages that do not have any NextGEN Galleries on them, no NextGEN scripts will load. That Is just one of the many performance enhancements we've made in this update.
NextGEN Plus/Pro is also getting this treatment, but in upcoming updates. So that means if you're running Plus or Pro you will still notice those scripts loading on pages without NextGEN Galleries.
To get an understanding for what's been changes, please be sure to read the full changelog below.
Backup Before Upgrading
Please consider backing up your site (both server files & MySQL Database) whenever updating plugins. Here are some backup recommendations.
Download NextGEN Gallery from WordPress.org or visit the Plugin page in your WordPress admin area to utilize the auto-update feature.
Changes in 2.0.71:
- NEW: Module files are compiled into a single package file to reduce disk I/O
- NEW: All lightboxes are configured using an in-memory management class.
- NEW: Uses Pope 2.0, benefiting from the new caching capabilities
- NEW: NextGEN Gallery's functionality is disabled if NextGEN Pro is incompatible
- NEW: Added ngg_effect_code filter
- Changed: Updated FontAwesome to 4.3.0
- Changed: Updated select2 to 3.5.2
- Changed: Removed PicLens / CoolIris integration
- Changed: Removed JSON API. Please use XML-RPC API instead
- Changed: For performance reasons, we cache FS & url lookups/calculations
- Changed: Greatly reduced the # of sql queries, and eliminated anything redundant
- Changed: For performance reasons, we cache datamapper and SQL queries
- Changed: Don't enqueue scripts or styles unless we require them
- Changed: Reduce the number of resources we enqueue for every HTTP request
- Changed: Insert Gallery Window is routed using wp-admin/admin_init
- Changed: Removed unused code from ngglegacy module. Created wrappers for commonly-used functions
- Changed: LZW module removed
- Changed: Legacy template drop-down selection now using select2
- Secured: Restrict folder browsing to NGG_IMPORT_ROOT constant
- Fixed: Compatibility issue with PHP's transparent ZLIB compression
- Fixed: Imagebrowser as lightbox effect not working when non-default permalink slug used
- Fixed: Angled quotations marks used in shortcode parameters
- Fixed: Compatibility between ImageBrowser display type and TwentyFifteen theme
- Fixed: Allow pagination to retain query string url parameters when linking to other pages
- Fixed: Fixed pagination issues with slideshow galleries displayed as thumbnails
- Fixed: Fix C_GalleryStorage_Driver_Base->import_gallery_from_fs() not checking imgBackup
- Fixed: Fixed problem with default settings being applied multiple times
- Fixed: Fallback to "full" image sizes if "backup" images aren't available
- Fixed: Use M_DataMapper's serialization methods throughout the codebase
- Fixed: Conflict with WordPress SEO and get_the_excerpt() call
- Fixed: Don't run Resource Manager on wp-login.php or wp-sign.php
- Fixed: TinyMCE Image Editor conflict with Insert Gallery Window placeholder images
- Fixed: Fix Shutter positioning when admin bar is displayed
- Fixed: Allow deselection of a legacy template
- Fixed: Prevent conflicts when using imagebrowser as a lightbox effect
- Fixed: Pagination not working for slideshows using thumbnail integration
For the history of changes, view the full changelog.