Paypal offers multiple ways to link to Paypal for checkout. Historically, NextGEN Pro has offered Paypal Standard and Paypal Express. While we still offer these, Paypal is slowly phasing them out, and replacing them with something called Paypal Checkout.
We’ve recently added Paypal Checkout as a new gateway option to NextGEN Pro. This article will show you how to set up Paypal Checkout as your payment gateway.
1) UPGRADE TO PAYPAL BUSINESS ACCOUNT
You’ll need a Paypal business account to use Paypal checkout. Here is Paypal’s documentation on how to upgrade your personal account if needed:
2) RETRIEVE PAYPAL API KEYS
Once you’ve upgraded to a business account, retrieve the API keys from Paypal.
- Log into the Paypal Developer Dashboard with your PayPal account credentials.
- On My Apps & Credentials, click the Live toggle.
- In the REST API apps section, click Create App.
- Click Create App, and give your app a name you will remember and associate with this website.
- Find and copy your live client ID and client Secret.
3) ADD API KEYS TO NEXTGEN PRO SETTINGS
Finally, return to your own website dashboard, and paste your live client ID and client Secret into the associated PayPal Checkout fields under Ecommerce > Ecommerce Options > Payment Gateway > Paypal Checkout.
Be sure to save your settings.