It’s here! After years in development, we’re happy to announce the arrival of automatic print fulfillment for WordPress.
This marks the first time automatic print fulfillment is available to the WordPress.org community! The new print service will be available to all NextGEN Pro users. You just need to have an active license and update.
NextGEN Pro’s ecommerce system has always supported the sale of manual prints and digital downloads. Now, print orders can be fulfilled and shipped automatically to customers through White House Custom Colour, one of the leading print labs in the United States.
We think this is big news not just for us, but for WordPress more broadly. Many photographers and visual artists continue to run multiple websites - a main site or blog on WordPress, and a separate non-WordPress website for print sales. This is because automated print fulfillment has not been available to WordPress users.
That’s now changed. Photographers can now do everything they need on WordPress. And that means Imagely, NextGEN Gallery, and the broader WordPress ecosystem can now fully compete with traditional photo website services like SmugMug, ShootProof, Zenfolio, Pixieset, and others.
How Automatic Print Fulfillment Works
We want to provide a quick overview of how the service works. When you set up NextGEN Pro
A visitor can then visit that gallery and order prints. When they do, we’ll automatically send the resulting order to WHCC. They will print your order, and ship it to your customer in a white-labeled package.
In order to use the service, you’ll need an active NextGEN Pro license. You’ll also need to keep a credit card on file (stored at Stripe) that we can bill for the cost of your print order.
That’s about it. If you’d like more detail,
What Else is Included
This is our biggest update to NextGEN Pro since it was originally launched in 2014. In addition to WHCC integration and print fulfillment, we’ve added a huge range of new features and improvements.
- Automated Sales Tax. We’ve integrated with TaxJar to allow automatic calculation and collection of sales tax. Sales tax can be very complicated. TaxJar takes the uncertainty out. It will collect exactly the right amount of tax, only when necessary.
- Ecommerce Setup Wizard. We’ve added an
ecommercesetup wizard to walk users through the setup process for ecommerce. Starting from scratch, you can have a fully working print sales gallery up and running in about 2-3 minutes.
- Improved Pricelist Management. We’ve improved both the functionality and interface for adding pricelists - including automatically fulfilled prints, but also manual prints and digital downloads.
- Improved Currency Conversion Handling. We’ve
improvecurrency handling and other aspects of international sales.
- New Tiled Gallery Display. We’ve added a new tiled gallery display that we think will rapidly become the favorite display for NextGEN Pro users. It’s beautiful.
- Improved Performance. We’ve made numerous performance improvements. These improvements build on the dramatic NextGEN Gallery performance improvements we’ve made over the last few years. (If you haven’t
notice, NextGEN Galleries now load faster any competing WordPress gallery plugins.)
- Overwhelming Attention to Backward Compatibility. While introducing all this functionality, we’ve bent over backward to ensure backward compatibility for existing users.
US & Canada Shipments Only
The initial release of our print fulfillment service only allows shipping to the US and Canada.
This is, in part, a limitation of the API for working with White House Custom Colour. If you are outside the US, you can still configure print lab fulfillment, but only buyers in the US or Canada will be able to complete an order. If you have buyers outside the US and Canada, you can continue to sell manually fulfilled prints and digital downloads.
How to Get Started
If you’re an active NextGEN Pro user, just update and run through the
If you’re not active NextGEN Pro user, just buy NextGEN Pro, install, and run the