NextGEN Basic Thumbnail Gallery is a grid of images that when clicked on, open in a pop-up full view. Some features you can add to your thumbnail gallery are as follows:
- set custom cropped thumbnail
- set custom thumbnail size
- pagination (set number of thumbnail images per gallery page)
Galleries are inserted to your page/post through the Add Gallery Window.
*Update* As of WordPress v5.0 WordPress has included a new post and page editor interface called 'Gutenberg'. We have included a NextGEN Gallery block in our December 2018 update. Follow the steps below to access our Add Gallery Window. If you prefer to continue using the Classic Editor, follow the instructions below this video:
ADD GALLERY WINDOW FEATURES
As of WordPress v5.0 you will need to install the Classic Editor plugin to continue editing your posts and pages the way you have been used to, following the instructions below. If you'd like to use the new Gutenberg editor, follow the instructions above in the video to learn how to locate our NextGEN Gallery block, and access our Add Gallery window.
Not only do you have that convenience, but you also have the option to add custom settings on a per gallery basis.
THUMBNAIL GALLERY SETTINGS
Default settings are set under Gallery > Gallery Settings in your WordPress dashboard. When inserting into a page or post, the custom gallery settings are located under Insert into Page > Customize Display Settings tab in your Add Gallery Window:
- Override thumbnail settings - The default setting will appear here, but you can customize the thumbnail size on a per gallery basis
- [if 'Override thumbnail settings' is set to Yes] Thumbnail dimensions - a dropdown will appear with previous settings or custom. Thumbnail Crop - set to YES will crop the thumbnails to exactly what you set in the 'Thumbnail dimensions' setting. Set to NO will set the thumb at the images original aspect ratio, and base the crop on the set width.
- Images per page - if you enable pagination for your thumbnail gallery, this will add a numerical navigation to the bottom of your gallery.
- Number of columns to display
- Enable Ajax pagination - Will help prevent the page from reloading when navigating the thumbnail gallery. *may not be fully compatible with all browsers.
- Add hidden images - If pagination is turned on, this will display ALL images in the gallery within the lightbox window. *this will increase load time of gallery.
- Use imagebrowser effect - Instead of opening up in a lightbox, when a thumbnail is selected it will open the image in an imagebrowser display.
- Show slideshow link - With this set to YES, will display a text link above thumbnail gallery for an option to view gallery as a slideshow.
- Slideshow link text
- If you have NextGEN Pro or NextGEN Plus installed, and you have the Pro Lightbox Effect enabled, you may choose to display the trigger icons that launch the Pro Lightbox to view your gallery images.
To learn how to create and upload images to your gallery [click here]
To learn how to add a gallery to your page or post [click here]