The Front Page 3 widget area in the Imagely Free Spirit demo uses one (1) Genesis – Featured Posts widgets to display (6) excerpts and a featured image, but you may use any content you wish.
To add the widget to an area, go to Appearance > Widgets, click on the Genesis Featured Posts widget title bar, select the desired widget area, and click Add Widget.
To configure the widget, click the title bar to open it, and change the settings to the following:
- Title: Enter the title you wish to display for this widget or leave blank.
- Category: Select which category you’d like to feature.
- Number of Posts to Show: Enter the number of posts you’d like to display in this area.
- Number of Posts to Offset: Enter the number of posts to offset (or skip). Offset is used when you have Featured Posts appearing elsewhere and you don’t want to repeat posts in those areas. Offsetting by 1 will show the next most recent post.
- Order by: Select the order in which the posts should be displayed.
- Sort Order: Select whether the order should be descending or ascending.
- Exclude Previously Displayed Posts?: Check the box to exclude posts that have already been displayed. This is useful when a post has been assigned to more than one category.
- Exclude Sticky Posts: Check the box to prevent sticky posts from being displayed.
- Show Author Gravatar: Check to display the post author’s gravatar.
- Gravatar Size: Select the size of the gravatar to display.
- Gravatar Alignment: Select the gravatar image alignment (Left, Right or None).
- Show Featured Image: Check the box to enable the featured image.
- Image Size: Select the desired image size for your featured image. Our demos use imagely-square (640x640).
- Image Alignment: Select the image alignment (Left, Right, Center or None).
- Show Post Title: Check the box to display the featured post title under the featured image.
- Show Post Info: Check the box to display the post info including the post date, author and comment link. You can then customize as desired.
- Content Type: Choose whether to display the Excerpt, Content, a Content Limit or No Content.
- Limit Content: If you choose to display a Content Limit, enter the number of characters to display.
- More Text (if applicable): If you choose to display a Content Limit, enter the desired more text, such as [Read More…]. This text will automatically be linked to the post.
- Title: If you would like to display an unordered list of more posts from the selected category, you may add a Title, for example More Posts from this Category.
- Number of Posts to Show: If you would like to display an unordered list of more posts from the selected category, enter the number of posts to show.
- Show Category Archive Link: If you have selected a single category to display in this widget, check the box to display a link to the rest of the posts in this category. Note: If you have the widget set to show All Categories, this link will not be displayed.
- Link Text: Enter the text you’d like to display in the link, for example More Posts from this Category.
- Once you have completed the widget configuration, be sure to click Save at the bottom of the widget to preserve your settings.